A folding shovel is something that has been around for a long time. It’s a tactical shovel that was used during the First World War, and the army shovel continued to be a popular option during World War II as well. This type of shovel can have a lot of uses, but what is the best folding shovel option that you can buy?
In this guide, we’re going to take a look at five different options, but before we begin, let’s take a more in-depth look at folding shovels.
Best Folding Shovel Reviews
1. Rhino Survival Military Style Shovel
- Folding survival shovel w/ pick - heavy duty carbon steel military style entrenching tool for off road, camping, gardening, beach, digging dirt, sand, mud & snow.
- Military style e-tool - 2lbs of powder coated carbon steel, tough pickaxe & sharp rugged saw teeth.
- Compact & portable - full 23" long extended but only 9" x 6" when folded into included carry case.
- Multi-functional - shovels = great garden tools, backpacking gear and metal detector accessories.
- The Last Shovel You Will Ever Need: At Rhino USA, We Stand Behind Our Products. If You Ever Experience Any Defects or Damage, Contact Our Customer Service Team and Receive A Replacement On Us.
Last update on 2024-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Rhino is a small family-owned business that creates our first product. It’s a very convenient option that you should consider, especially if you need a shovel with a convenient design that’s quick and efficient to use. The shovel is made out of very durable material that will not require much from the owner. The head of the shovel can adjust to 90 degrees, which means that the unit can be used as either a pick or a hoe. On the side of the shovel, there is a rugged sawtooth that can be used to cut wood if need be.
This shovel is designed to fold up quickly and easily in a tri-fold design. In fact, when it is folded, the unit can easily fit in the tactical messenger bag that comes with the purchase of this shovel.
2. Tyger Military Shovel and Multifunction Tool
- Why TYGER ? US registered patent design shovel forged to last from military grade solid carbon steel and aerospace grade anodized aluminum tubes.
- Comes with unique instant switch mechanism. Simply pull the slider to switch modes in seconds. Fast and Sturdy!
- 16-in-1 multifunction for Off-roading, Camping, Hiking, 4-Wheeling, SUVing, Backpacking, Fishing, Disaster Recovery, Expeditionists, RV Camping, Cadets, Scouts, Military Personnel, Hikers, Camper, Hunter, Fisherman, Gardener, Survivalist, Truck driver, Motorcyclist. Be prepared for any situation!
- Need extension? Extension handle (TG-SV8U3217EH) is available for purchase. Also, this compact shovel can be easily stored in your vehicle to help you dig out tires or break glass in emergencies. The included storage bag allows you to carry the shovel for any outdoor adventures.
Last update on 2024-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Tyger shovel is another great option that’s going to be worth considering. It is made from a lightweight aluminum material that’s designed to be durable for a lifetime, which means that this may be the last shovel that you’re going to need to purchase. It is actually a 16-in-1 multitool that makes it a great survival or army shovel. The compact design makes it easy to use and comes with a few extra tools that you can use, which includes a knife, an ice pick, a screwdriver, and a firestarter. All of these things can be of great use in a survival situation or to keep with your emergency freeze dried food.
The shovel is designed to be packed away with ease. The unit can easily fit into a bag or your vehicle without any issues, and this shovel also comes with a carry bag that will travel with the tool very easy to do.
3. GRM Camping Shovel
Last update on 2024-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
When it comes to this GRM shovel, there are a lot of tools on the device that could be useful in a survival situation. There are seven different tools on the shovel, which includes a knife, a saw, a hex wrench, a ruler, a nail puller, and more. There is even a paracord on the unit that will make it convenient to use while you’re hunting and fishing. The design of this product is very compact; in fact, the length of the shovel is only about 10 inches before its folded up.
The handle is designed to be anti-slip, which means that it will be easier to manage. It even comes with a nylon rope on the handle that makes it easy to hold. This model is made with premium steel that’s designed to be very strong. This means that the unit is going to be wear-resistant and it will not rust easily either.
4. SOG Foldable Tactical Shovel
- 18.25 INCH FULL LENGTH, 24.5 OUNCES: Lightweight foldable outdoor, hunting, military shovel is versatile to get the job done. E-Tool features a wood saw edge to cut or chop small branches and trees for kindling or fire building
- COMPACT AND PORTABLE: The multi-use shovel folds down to be barely bigger than your hand. 10 inches in length when folded, it takes up about the same space as a stack of paper plates. A needed tool that is easy to pack and takes up no space in your backpack, or camp kit
- HIGH-CARBON STEEL CONSTRUCTION: Super durable to handle the long list of jobs the shovel was designed to handle in extreme conditions. Dig through dirt, sand, gravel mud, and snow with the tempered steel blade. The triangular handle is strong and fits the hand well for optimal use when digging, trenching, cutting, or slashing
- 3-WAY FOLDING DESIGN: Hand shovel collapses into a portable outdoor shovel, emergency shovel, and hiking shovel. The rotating spade blade can be adjusted to act as a pick or hoe. Ultimate camp tool to dig fire pits, bury waste, or trench drainage lines
- SOG TACTICAL SHOVEL FOR LIFE: Take care of your folding shovel and we’ll take care of you; SOG shovels for digging are built to last, and we consider all repair and replacement requests
Last update on 2024-02-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The SOG shovel, which is a tactical model, has a design that is not actually much larger than your hand. It comes with an entrenching tool that will work in any type of soil, and it can easilybe folded into a more compact size that is still extremely versatile. The shovel is only about 18 inches in size, and the one side of the shovel is serrated so that it can be used in more situations. The spade of the unit can also shift so that it can be used as a hoe or a pick.
This shovel actually has a three-way folding design that is convenient to use. It can easily be folded up into a compact size that will not be bulky in your bag. The shovel is made out of high-carbon steel that is extremely durable. It also comes with a bag that can be used to store and keep the shovel safe from the elements.
5. Zune Lotoo Annihilate Shovel
- 7 Key Angles Lock Patent: One-handed operation, one key to quickly adjust 7 angles. The compact survival shovel kit provide the fastest rescue in an emergency, make your camping trip, off-roading adventure, backpacking, hiking, and get outdoors more safer. Patent No.-ZL201410131679.8
- Sturdy survival tool: The durable tactical shovel head is made of martensitic steel and cast in one piece. The thickest part is as high as 1.3cm, HRC 60 and it can bear 1984lb. It will not rust in salt water for 25 days, and will not break in cold weather of minus 60 degrees.
- All-in-one multitools: The camping shovel folding multitool has shovel blade and axe blade in the shovel surface, great for shovelling, chopping, cutting, sawing, digging, hammering. also includes bottle opener, survival whistle, camera support, fire starter, wire saw and rope.
- Upgrade handle: The handle is made of aircraft grade aluminum military grade, with a thickness of 5.01mm, sturdy and reliable. And the removable black non-slip silicone pad can be adjusted to the most suitable position according to your needs.
- Solid little shovel: Our foldable shovel is about 24.2 in (3 handles), with 2 extension rods, and the total length of the assembled 5-section handle is 35.4 in. All can be disassembled and packed in a green carrying pouch, which is lightweight and portable, great for toolbox of truck, car/RV camping.
Last update on 2024-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The final shovel that we are going to look at, which is the Zune Lotoo shovel, is another strong crafted model that’s designed to last for a lifetime. This shovel is crafted with heat-treated carbon steel that’s designed to be unbreakable. In fact, this design and the shape of the shovel will make the joints in the shovel head about three times stronger. It’s also a very lightweight model that will be easy to pack and carry in your edc backpack while you’re hiking.
There are actually six different shovel heads that can be used, which will provide you with six different angles for a more versatile tool. The shovel head can easily lock in place, and it can easily be adjusted in about one second. This is a shovel that combines more than 23 different multi-tools.
Features to Consider when Purchasing a Collapsible Shovel
When you’re making a purchase, there are a few things that you’ll want to consider before you decide which collapsible shovel is the right option for you. Some of the things that you will need to consider include:
One of the most important things to consider when you purchase a folding shovel is the material that was used in its construction. There’s a lot of shovels available to you, but the material that you choose will help to determine whether the one you get can be a survival shovel or more of a tactical shovel, with an entrenching tool that can be quite useful for digging. Common materials for the blade include stainless steel or high carbon steel. To help keep the blade in good condition, the metal can also be coated with a black layer of paint to help prevent corrosion from occurring.
A solid piece of metal is going to be more durable than a thin sheet, and it will not bend when pressure is placed on the shovel. The paint can chip off and cause the metal to rust, but this is less likely to occur. The handle will need to be made either from metal or hard plastic. Metal is the sturdier option, but if you are looking for a lighter weight, then plastic may be a better choice.
Type of Design
There are different folding shovel designs that can be found on the market. Before you make a purchase, it’s important to take a look at them all to determine which option will work best for your needs. There are tri-fold options as well as bi-fold shovels that you can consider. There are also shovels with a telescoping design that’s made to extend and collapse as needed. Some survival shovels are amongst the list of most coveted survival essentials.
Having a portable option is a great idea for a camping shovel or a shovel that you’re going to need to take with you on your travels. Collapsible shovels are always a great option that can easily be folded down to a more compact size that may easily fit into your backpack. The size and the weight of the shovel will also make it easier to carry around, so find the best survival shovel that fits your needs, especially if you are going to be carrying it around in the wilderness. Look for a model that has a compact size so that it can be easier to transport in your vehicle as well.
Ease of Use
When you’re looking for a shovel, the general rule of thumb is that the better the grip is on the unit, the easier it is going to be to use. Most collapsible shovel handles are designed with either a “T” grip or a “D” grip, which will be able to provide you with the ergonomic support that you need to dig without bending down. Most shovels with a short handle are going to make it so that you have to bend down while using it, so having an option with an adjustable handle can make it more manageable to use.
Do you need a shovel with serrated edges that will allow you to cut things when you need to in the wild? If so, there are a lot of other features that may be worth considering as well. A camping shovel can have things such as a compass, an entrenching tool, or another multi-tool that could be useful in a survival situation.
Reasons to Use Folding Shovels in a Survival Situation
There are a lot of possible situations where a person may need a shovel when they are in the wilderness trying to survive. Some of the top uses for a shovel include:
- A shovel can be used to drive in stakes or dig a hole in the ground. This can help make sure that you are not exposed to the elements when you need to sleep outdoors. You can even use the shovel to make the ground where you are camping even, which will make sleeping at night much more comfortable.
- When there is not a toilet with running water that you can use, a shovel can be used to dig a hole in the ground where you can use the bathroom. You will also be able to cover the waste up with a shovel.
- When it’s windy outside, keeping a fire going can be difficult. A shovel can make it easy to start a fire because you can dig a fire pit and even use a sharp shovel to chop the wood if you need.
- If a wild animal comes into your camping area, then a shovel can be used as a defensive tool that can keep you safe from predators.
When searching for the best folding shovel, all the options that we’ve reviewed in this guide are great to consider. If there is one that stands out above the rest, it would be the SOG foldable shovel. It has a tempered steel head, a sawtooth edge, and a convenient 3-way folding design. It’s a durable option that will work in the snow, the sand, or the dirt.