Undoubtedly, canned food has a lot of advantages. Practical, convenient and durable, it is always good to have at hand. However, if you don’t know how to properly store it, canned food can take up a lot of space in your kitchen, pantry or emergency food store. For that reason, manufacturers all over the world offer canned food storage products and systems.
In order to help you choose the right one for you, this guide will go over five of the best can storage products and organizers on the market.
We will provide additional information about canned food and its handling. Hopefully, this information will help you choose the best canned food storage rack on the market.
Last update on 2020-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 1 The Best Canned Food Storage Reviews
- 2 Simple Houseware Stackable Can Rack Organizer
- 3 Simple Houseware Stackable Front Loading Beverage Can Dispenser Rack
- 4 FIFO Can Tracker and Organizer for Cupboard, Pantry and Cabinet
- 5 FIFO Can Rack 200
- 6 Yoders Fully Cooked Canned Bacon Full Case
- 7 Canned Food Storage Buyer’s Guide
- 8 How to Store Canned Foods
- 9 Factors that Limit the Shelf-Life of Canned Foods
- 10 How to Identify and Handle Spoiled Canned Foods
- 11 Conclusion
The Best Canned Food Storage Reviews
Made of hard, sturdy metal, the Simple Houseware Stackable Can Rack Organizer is capable of holding large, heavy cans in an organized manner. Being able to hold up to 36 large cans in different sizes, it allows you to keep a variety of canned foods in a single place. Designed to make your life easier, this product has a stackable design that makes a breeze out of selecting the right product.
Being relatively compact, the Simple Houseware Stackable Can Rack Organizer can fit in most pre-existing shelves, eliminating the need to make changes to your pantry layout. Moreover, it can be put together with ease and no tools in a matter of minutes. Once fully assembled, this fantastic can organizer is very stable and sturdy, preventing potential accidents from ruining your canned goods.
Without a doubt, the most salient feature that the Simple Houseware Stackable Can Rack Organizer has to offer is its divider system. Using a variety of plastic dividers, you can align and organize cans of different sizes. Apart from making your life easier, this great feature increases the number of cans you can store at once using this product.
- Easily-stackable design
- Features adjustable plastic dividers
- Easy and quick to assemble without tools
- Holds large cans
- Fits in most shelves with ease
- Plastic dividers are somewhat flimsy
- Difficult to load and unload
Practical and convenient, the Simple Houseware Stackable Front Loading Beverage Can Dispenser Rack constitutes a simple solution to your can-storing problems. Made of metal, this can storage system is capable of holding 12 medium-sized cans of food or soda without a problem. What is more, it has a slim and stackable design with a retractable system that saves up space.
Compact and cleverly-designed, the Simple Houseware Stackable Front Loading Beverage Can Dispenser Rack can fit basically anywhere, including pre-existent pantry shelves, kitchen cabinets and even inside some refrigerators. However, it’s too tall to fit in most average-sized refrigerators.
Without a doubt, the Simple Houseware Stackable Front Loading Beverage Can Dispenser Rack is very practical as it can fit basically anywhere. Due to its retractable design, you will not have to move it from its place in order to take a can out. However, it should be noted that this product is too weak to have anything weighty stacked over it.
- Slim, compact design Sturdy metallic construction
- Classy and elegant bronze coating
- Retractable design saves up space
- Very affordable
- Tall for an average fridge
- Made of cheap metal
Featuring an innovative patented design, this can organizer system by FIFO can help you keep your canned goods not only organized but also in constant rotation. Sturdy and spacious, it can store more than 50 cans of varied sizes and weights. What is more, its design allows you to create groups of cans according to any given criteria, making their organization a lot easier.
Without a doubt, the FIFO Can Tracker and Organizer stands out due to its elegant can rotation system. Apart from allowing you to choose the right can at any given moment, this system makes it easy to rotate your cans according to their expiration date (or any other criteria of your choice). Furthermore, the rotation process is quick and simple, and it doesn’t require much effort at all.
Easy to install and use, the FIFO Can Tracker and Organizer is certainly convenient. In addition, it fits perfectly in most pre-existent shelves, cupboards and pantry racks. As a result, it can be used in a variety of situations and settings. Taking all this into consideration, it can be said that the FIFO Can Tracker and Organizer is a product very much worth looking into.
- Allows you to easily rotate cans of food
- Can be used with cans of different sizes
- Sturdy and durable
- Easy to install on an existing shelf
- Very user-friendly
- Sharp plastic edges
- Cans in the middle of the storage rack can be difficult to reach
Large and spacious, the FIFO Can Rack 200 can be a great choice if you are planning on storing a large number of canned food items at the same time. Provided with a series of rotatory and retractable shelves, this can storage system is practical and convenient. As if all that wasn’t enough, several FIFO Can Rack 200 units can be stacked together, making this a great purchase for large storing projects or your emergency food store.
Apart from being very wide, this product’s racks are completely adjustable, making it easy for you to fit cans of different sizes in it. What is more, the FIFO Can Rack 200 has adjustable can tracks, allowing you to store cans with uncommon dimensions as well as standard ones. Even better, much like the FIFO Can Tracker and Organize, this can organizing tool makes it easy and intuitive to rotate cans periodically in order to use the oldest products first.
At this point, it’s important to note that the FIFO Can Rack 200 is larger and sturdier than most can racks on the market. Its design is also more complex and, as a result, the product is more difficult to install. However, the manufacturer offers help with the installation of the FIFO Can Rack 200 if it’s required by the customer. Taking all that into consideration, it can be confidently said that the FIFO Can Rack 200 is one of the best products of its kind on the market.
- Large and spacious
- Featured rotary and retractable can tracks
- Holds more than 200 cans
- Features adjustable racks
- Difficult to install
If you are looking for a ready-to-eat canned food product that is worth storing in your new canned food storage rack, the Yoders Fully Cooked Canned Bacon Full Case may be the right option for you. Featuring several strips of bacon that is already cooked and ready to be enjoyed, this product is as practical as it is convenient. Having been conserved using modern methods, these bacon strips will maintain their freshness and deliciousness for long periods of time.
Made of high-quality metal, the cans that contain the bacon strips are tough and durable. What is more, these cans are resistant to rust and corrosion, ensuring that your food won’t be spoiled before its expiration date arrives. Additionally, the cans are remarkably easy to open, making this a truly open-and-eat type of product. However, if you want, you can also heat the bacon strips in the microwave or even put them in the frying pan. All this makes the Yoders Fully Cooked Canned Bacon Full Case the best canned food for long term storage on the market.
- Ready to eat
- Good for emergency situations
- Includes large amounts of protein and calories
- Somewhat overpriced
Canned Food Storage Buyer’s Guide
How to Store Canned Foods
As was previously said, in order to ensure that your canned food goods will last as long as they possibly can, it’s important to store them properly. To find out how to do that, keep on reading this guide.
Assuming you have cans that are properly vacuum-sealed, take into account the following:
- Store in a cool and dry place. Temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit are recommended.
- If possible, organize the canned goods in a way that will force you to use the oldest ones first. Remember that canned foods shouldn’t be kept for more than one year.
- Ideally, use canned meats and seafood products within three years of the date provided in the package.
- Whenever possible, use canned high-acid foods like fruit, pickles and tomatoes within three years of the date provided on the package.
- Canned fruit juices should be discarded after one year of storage.
- If the can shows signs of damage, rust, corrosion or spoilage, the product should be considered unsafe to eat and discarded.
Factors that Limit the Shelf-Life of Canned Foods
Unfortunately, metallic cans can rust. If the rust develops enough over time, it can create tiny holes in the can that will allow spoilage agents to get in it. Alternatively, rust can weaken the can enough to break after a bump or small impact, also resulting in spoilage.
Over time, foods that contain certain chemicals may react with the metal of the can. In particular, foods like tomatoes and other fruits can cause this to happen due to having large amounts of acid. When this reaction happens, foods may change in taste and texture. Eventually, the corrosion will cause the food to lose its nutritional value.
As previously mentioned, the ideal temperature to store canned foods is between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. However, most canned goods should be okay for a reasonable amount of time when stored in temperatures up to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything above that temperature, however, and the risk of spoilage becomes exponentially larger with every hour that passes.
How to Identify and Handle Spoiled Canned Foods
Spoilage Warning Signs
If you notice these signs, never use a canned food product:
- Loose or bulging opening lids
- Bulging, leaking or badly dented cans
- Bad smells
- Faded can colors
- How to Inspect a Food Can
- Examine the can’s opening lid to make sure it’s completely sealed
- Holding it upright at eye level, rotate the can and examine its outside surface and check for pronounced dents, holes and other signs of damage
- After opening the can, look at the contents for rising air bubbles and unnatural color
- Look for spurting liquid and cotton-like mold growth of any color
- Smell for bad odors
Having the best canned food for long term storage does not mean much if you don’t know how to properly store it. Thankfully, all the products featured in this guide can help you do precisely that. However, one of them stands out.
Made with high-quality materials and expertly constructed, the FIFO Can Rack 200 is, without a doubt, the best canned food storage rack out there.
- FIRST IN FIRST OUT DESIGN - Allows you to rotate your oldest inventory first ensuring your food stays fresh while eliminating waste from expired cans
- HOLDS OVER 200 CANS - Each individual unit holds over 200 cans. Units can be stacked giving you over 400 can storage with 2 stacked units.
- ADJUSTABLE - Width of can tracks is adjustable to fit cans from small fruit cans, to tuna cans to large fruit and tomato sauce cans
- DIMENSIONS: 42" H x 24" W x 24" D
Last update on 2020-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API