When you’re going for a hike in the wilderness, it’s important to make sure that you have a survival tent to protect you from the elements. Since having shelter is crucial for survival, you’re going want to find the best survival tent for your needs. If you’re camping in a cold area, the bug out tent that you need may be different from an area where it’s hot.
What is the best survival tent for emergency situations? Let’s take a look at 10 options to see which one fits your needs.
Before we jump to the reviews, we are going to take a look at the different types of survival tents.
At the end of the review section there is a buyers guide where we discuss the features that you’ll want your new tent to have.
Last update on 2020-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 1 Types of Survival Tents and Shelters
- 2 Reviews of the Best Survival Tents
- 3 MSR Hubba Hubba NX Two-Person Backpacking Tent
- 4 Naturehike Cloud-Up Four-Season Backpacking Tent
- 5 Weanas Professional Three-Seasons Backpacking Tent
- 6 Kikilive Three-Season Tent
- 7 Geertop Two-Person Travel Tent
- 8 Bessport Lightweight Camping Tent
- 9 Kelty Salida Camping Tent
- 10 Hyke and Byke Yosemite Backpacking Tent
- 11 Featherstone Two-Person Backpacking Tent
- 12 Alps Two-Person Mountaineering Tent
- 13 Buyers Guide : Considerations to Make when Purchasing an Emergency Tent
- 14 Final Thoughts
Types of Survival Tents and Shelters
For every emergency situation, there is an emergency survival tent that will be ideal to use. Of course, most tents will work in these circumstances, but being prepared for a specific situation could be beneficial. Some of the bug out tents that you may want to consider include:
This is a bug out tent that will work throughout the entire year. It is designed to keep the rain out in the spring and the snow out in the winter. It will provide you with insulation when you need it, and the rain fly can be removed to add ventilation to the tent as well.
Bug out bag tents are designed for campers and hikers to use and are lightweight and easy to carry so that they do not add much weight to your bag on the trail. They are also very compact when they’re packed away so that they take up less space in your travel bag.
Cold Weather Tents
Tents used in colder environments keep you warm throughout the night. These tents will be insulated so that they keep the cold air out of the tent, and some of them are even designed with space heaters or stoves that you can use while you’re camping. These tents can cost a bit more to purchase, but they will often have more features to help keep you warm when you are camping in cold weather.
If you find that you need an emergency survival tent, a bivvy is a great survival tool that will trap in your body heat and help you to survive the night. It is only large enough for one, but it is small enough to pack easily. Most of these types of tents weigh less than half of a pound, so you will hardly notice them in your bag.
Reviews of the Best Survival Tents
The first survival tent that we are going to look at is a great option that’s designed for two. It is red and tan in color, which makes it an option that can easily blend into its surroundings, especially during the fall when the leaves are changing colors. This is a lightweight option that is only about 3 ½ pounds in total. It has a 29 square feet interior and a height of 39 inches. There is also a vestibule that is 17.5 square feet to accommodate your shoes, bag, and gear.
The material is very durable nylon that’s designed with a ripstop pattern that will keep it from tearing. The tent has a polyurethane coating on it to make sure that it is protected from the elements. This coating is designed to last up to three times longer than other coatings.
- This tent comes with a generous three-year warranty
- The ventilation that you get in this tent is exceptional, especially on hot days when the tent will need air
- It can easily be set up with one person in five minutes
- There are not that many internal pockets in the tent
This is a tent that comes in either gray or green, and it can be purchased to accommodate one to three individuals. The tent is made out of very durable nylon material that’s designed to be scratch proof so that it does not get damaged easily. There is also a silicone coating on the material, which will help to protect it in the rain and keep your belongings dry.
The tent is only 3.8 pounds with all the accessories, so it should be easy to carry in your bag. It also has a long vestibule that you can use to store your things and keep them out of the rain. Setting up this structure will take less than two minutes, and this four-season option comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Setting up the tent is pretty straightforward, and it takes very little time to complete
- The ventilation of this tent is phenomenal, especially during the hottest time of the year
- It keeps the water at bay well
- There is no insulation in the tent to keep you warm in the winter
- The two-person option seems to be a bit small to accommodate two full-sized adults
The Weanas Professional Backpacking Tent is an option that comes in a variety of colors and sizes. It can accommodate one to four individuals with ease. This model comes in an extra size, which gives it about nine more inches than the traditional size. There is an outer layer on the tent that can be used to store your things. The flap can be zipped up, rolled up, or positioned on poles to create a roof.
The unit has a classic design that features two doors. The interior one is a mesh fabric that will allow the tent to get some air, and the outer layer is waterproof and designed to give you some privacy when you are camping. In addition to being waterproof, this nylon tent is also windproof and UV-resistant, so it has a good bit of durability. Setting up this tent is easy to manage for a single person, and it will not take more than five minutes to complete.
- This tent is lightweight and easy to carry when you are hiking in the woods
- You can enter on two sides of the tent, so you will not have to wake the other person up to get out at night
- The storage compartments provide a bit of extra space
- Packing the tent up in the same container can be difficult
This is a tent that’s designed to accommodate your camping needs for three seasons out of the year. It’s made of waterproof nylon material that is durable enough to last. It also comes with a rain fly that has a UV-resistant coating on it to help protect the tent from the sun. The rain fly can also easily be removed so that the tent is better ventilated.
This is a teepee tent that is either a bright yellow, green, or white color. It is quite spacious inside, and you can buy either a one or two-person tent to accommodate your needs when you travel. This tent is very portable; in fact, it only weighs about 3.3 pounds. When its folded up, it is only 16.5 inches in length as well, so it will easily fit in your bag.
- This is a tent that’s made using quality materials that will last
- It has a very attractive exterior design that is brightly colored
- The tent has plenty of space to accommodate two people
- The tent can leak easily if the rain fly is not on it because it is all mesh
This Geertop model is a brightly colored tent that’s made to accommodate two. It comes in yellow or red so that you can be found in an emergency, and it’s designed to be waterproof to protect you from the elements. The sturdy polyester material is also windproof, so it can accommodate your needs in the rain or the snow. The tent has a snow skirt along the base that’s designed to help keep the heat in the tent and makes sure that nothing leaks into the floor when the ground is wet. The seams are also double stitched to give them more durability.
This is a lightweight tent that is very simple to set up. In fact, with one person doing the work, it should only take about five minutes or so, which means that you can be in your tent quickly when you need shelter.
- The seams are all tightly sealed, so you don’t have to worry about the tent leaking
- This tent has a lot of room inside, so there is plenty of space to store your gear
- It has a two-door design that some hikers may find attractive
- The ventilation is not the best in this model
If you’re looking for a spacious tent that can comfortably accommodate one to two people, then this Bessport model is a great option to consider. It comes in grey, green, and orange, so you can choose the color that best fits your needs. It has two D-shaped doors that will make it easy for you to get in and out of the tent without disturbing the other person. The tent is small and compact; in fact, it only weighs a total of five pounds.
This tent is constructed with nylon material that is durable and easy to use. It has a weather-resistant coating that will protect it from the rain, the snow, and the wind. This is a tent that’s designed to be breathable, so the rain fly can be removed. This is a tent that is easy to set up, so when you need to set up camp for the night, to should take less than five minutes.
- This tent is well-insulated s that you can stay warm during a cold night
- The construction of the tent is very solid, and it is a durable model that will last
- Setting up this tent is rather straightforward
- There are no camouflage color options
The Kelty Salida Camping Tent is a great shelter that comes in a variety of sizes. Depending on the size that you select, the tent can comfortably accommodate up to four individuals. It is gray and green in color, which makes it easy to stay hidden from the wildlife living in the area when you are camping. This tent’s made out of a durable nylon material that is not likely to be punctured or torn during your camping trip.
It is lightweight and easy to carry in your bag. The tent is also very easy to set up with one person, so you can quickly have your shelter ready to use. This does not have insulation, so it is rated to be a three-season tent. It is waterproof and windproof, so it will hold up in a rainstorm. In addition, there is a 10 square foot space in the tent that can be used as storage to make sure that your stuff is dry.
- Setting up this tent is easily doable in less than five minutes
- The ventilation in this tent is excellent
- The material that this tent’s made from is very durable
- The tent stakes that come with this model tend to bend far too easily
When it comes to bug out tents, this Hyke and Byke tent is one that you should consider for backpacking and traveling in the wilderness. These are all one to two-person models that are lightweight and easy to carry with you in your bag. The stakes are aluminum, and the fabric is nylon, which means that this is a durable option that’s designed to last for years. Because the manufacturer backs this product, it even comes with a lifetime warranty.
The tent is very easy to set up, so a single person will be able to manage it in less than five minutes. It is a very spacious tent that’s designed to be waterproof to protect you from the elements. It has a two-door design, and inside, there are pockets and an area to store your gear that will be great to use to make sure that your belongings are safe.
- The materials of this tent are high-quality, which means that they will have a longer lifespan
- The vestibule is quite large and provides ample space to store your bags
- The tent comes with a lifetime warranty
- Even though the material is waterproof, it is thin, so the light goes through it in the mornings
This two-person tent is a spacious option that can accommodate your camping needs for three seasons out of the year. It has a height of 43 inches and a weight of about five pounds, so it is light enough to carry on the trail with ease. The floor of this tent is crafted from nylon that has a waterproof coating on the base, and the sides are a Noseeum mesh. It comes with a rain fly to make sure that your tent is protected from the rain; in fact, the rain fly will not sag when it gets wet.
This tent also has a tampered construction that will help keep the rain at bay and prevent leaks from occurring. Even with two people in the tent, there will be plenty of storage space in the vestibules. This product comes with a limited lifetime warranty as well.
- When this tent’s packed away, it can easily fit into a small cylinder bag
- It can easily accommodate two people as well as both of their gear
- This tent is very simple to set up
- The ventilation that you get in this tent is amazing
- Packing the tent back into the bag can be challenging
The final tent that we are going to review in this guide is one by Alps. It is designed with two poles to make sure that you have plenty of headroom when you want to sit inside the tent. It also has a mostly mesh design that will allow plenty of air to go through the canopy. The base of the tent and the rain fly are made out of nylon, which is a durable option that will not easily tear or become damaged. The rain fly is also waterproof, so it can be a great option to use in the spring of the year.
This is a tent that has two doors, so you can position your things at one door so that they are easier to reach. There are also two vestibules that you can use to store your things and make sure that they are well-protected. There are mesh pockets inside the tent to store smaller items. The tent has a UV-resistant coating as well that will help to protect it from sun damage.
- This tent is very simple to set up
- Being able to access the tent from two different points is ideal when you are traveling with another
- This tent weighs about a pound more than similar models that you can find
- This tent can feel a bit snug with two full-sized adults inside
Buyers Guide : Considerations to Make when Purchasing an Emergency Tent
When you’re looking to buy the best survival tent, there are a few considerations that you’ll need to make before deciding which is the best option for your needs.
How many people are going to be traveling with you? Do you tend to hike in the wilderness alone, or does someone travel with you when you go? Some tents only accommodate a single person, so if you are likely to travel with someone else, this will not be the best option for you to consider. Even if you do travel alone, a two-person tent will give you a little more space so that you can make sure that all of your equipment stays dry.
When you are looking into an emergency tent, the last thing that you want is a flimsy tent that will tear easily at the first sign of high winds.
Tents made today are often built to be much stronger than the tents that you would have purchased years ago.
You’ll still want to make sure that it is strong enough to last. Camping excursions that have a lot of extremes, like hot and cold temperatures, a higher level of durability is recommended so that the tent lasts longer.
If this is going to be a tent that you will be carrying on your back, then you will need to make sure that it is not too heavy to carry for a long distance. Every ounce will add to the bag that you are hefting, so finding an option that will not be too cumbersome to carry is imperative.
When you buy a tent, you may want it to be a specific color depending on whether you are going to need to stay hidden in the woods from animals or other people, or you need to be rescued from a specific situation.
If you prefer to be camouflage, then more natural colored options will be the best survival tents. When you are looking to buy the best survival tent for emergency situations, then something that is bright orange is going to be the most visible option.
When you’re camping, there are things that you’re going to want inside the tent with you. This will help to keep them dry and protected. This could include your shoes, your jacket, your travel bag, your food, and wood that you have collected.
A vestibule is a space that will give you room inside of a tent instead of taking up the area that you’ll need to use to sleep. Some tents have hanging pockets that can be used to secure items as well.
Easy to Set Up
There are some bug out bag tents on the market that are extremely elaborate, which means that they can be more difficult to manage. You don’t want to have a tent that is difficult to set up when you’re wet and cold and trying to build your shelter for the night.
Having something quick and easy to set up is important to make sure that you have the advantage when it comes time to set up camp in the wilderness.
Inclement Weather Protection
As with all survival tents and shelters, you’re going to want to make sure that the tent you choose is waterproof. It could have a rain fly or an impermeable wall, but the tent must be protected so that rain and snow do not get into the tent while you are sleeping.
Tents can also get damaged in the sun, so you’ll want to try and get a tent that has UV protection as well.
Out of all the survival tents that we have reviewed in the guide, the MSR Hubba Hubba NX Two-Person Backpacking Tent that we looked at first is the one that we would say is the best option.
It’s an option that will accommodate your needs four three of the four seasons, it’s lightweight, and it is made out of ripstop nylon, which is one of the most durable tent fabrics that you will be able to find. It’s a tent that has a waterproof design, and it also comes with a generous three-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight freestanding design. Floor Fabric - 30D ripstop nylon 3000mm Xtreme Shield polyurethane & DWR
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17.5 sq. feet of vestibule area
- Complete setup weighs 3.5 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses footprint, poles, and rainfly and weighs 3 lbs.
- Xtreme Shield Waterproof Coating lasts up to 3 times longer than standard waterproof coatings; Easton Syclone Poles resist breaking in fierce winds
- Includes tent, one unified hub-and-pole system, rainfly, stakes, and guy lines; footprint sold separately; manufacturer’s 3-year limited warranty
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API