If you are a survivalist or even an outdoor adventurer, you know how important it is to have the right type of lighter. A handy item to keep in your backpack or pocket, having a reliable lighter can actually mean the difference between life and death.
It can light the fire that will keep you warm, allow you to cook the fish you caught, or keep wild animals at bay.
Last update on 2020-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here are a few tips and reviews to help you find the best survival lighter for your bug out bag or next adventure:
- 1 Best Survival Lighter Reviews
- 2 lcfun Lighter
- 3 Phone Skope Fire Starter
- 4 Zippo Emergency Fire Kit
- 5 True Utility FireStash Lighter
- 6 EDC Lighter
- 7 Buyer’s Guide and Considerations When Choosing the Best Survival Lighter
- 8 Conclusion
Best Survival Lighter Reviews
The windproof Icfun Lighter is a great choice for hiking, camping, or traveling. It can be recharged using a USB cord and comes with a lighter cover that features a metal-ring seal. It also has a locking clasp and comes with a durable and thick rope you can hang it on. With a waterproof design, moisture does not get inside the Icfun Lighter.
You don’t have to worry about using it in the rain or the wind. This is an arc lighter that is a perfect campfire starting tool and also works well in emergency situations. Eco-friendly and economical, this lighter has a built-in lithium battery that is rechargeable, and it doesn’t require either butane or gas. This is a clean and convenient lighter that takes about two hours to fully charge. The Icfun Lighter is made with a durable high-quality ABS and Zinc Alloy, so it will last you’re a long time.
- The cap flips up easily and stays out of the way
- The lighter opens fully for better access than other lighters
- This is the perfect sized lighter for camping out
- You have to be able to fit whatever you want to light into its gap
- There is no safety on the lighter
Perfect for hunters, outdoorsmen, and survivalists, the Phone Skope Fire Starter will also allow you to enjoy some hot dogs in your backyard. It works well in any type of weather with its efficient and non-toxic features. It is versatile enough to burn during wind, sleet, snow, and rain allowing you to stay warm and cook food no matter what the situation.
Completely waterproof, the Phone Skope Fire Starter allows you to create fires without having to deal with rechargeable lighters, difficult to use fire starters, or propane. This is a KOA friendly wind and weather-resistant lighter that was designed for the outdoorsman. Very portable, it works in any type of environment and can sustain a fire when hiking, camping, or hunting.
Available in three different blends, this lighter is a smart all-weather tool that uses a blue winter blend when the temperature is between 70 and -20°F, an orange summer blend between 40 and 110°F, and a Green Eco Blend between 20 and 90°F. This lightweight lighter only weighs 2.2 pounds and is easy to put in your pocket, camping gear, backpack, or bug out bag. It also allows for multiple fires in each can with up to 30 dry fires and up to 12 wet fires.
When nothing else will light your fire, the Phone Skope Fire Starter will keep you safe and warm. Supporting all temperatures, this is a great emergency fire starter that also works well for the BBQ enthusiast in your life.
- This is a great lighter to have for emergencies
- It works in any type of conditions, which is great if you are out in the woods It is a great size to carry in your pocket
- It takes a second to light, so not very fast
- It is almost impossible to grip it and strike
Quickly create a fire with the Zippo Emergency Fire Kit. Getting a fire started can sometimes make the difference between life and death, but with this emergency fire kit, you can overcome adverse outdoor conditions. With high-quality construction, this compact kit is water-resistant featuring an O-ring seal that protects the five spark tinders inside keeping them dry.
Using the same flint that is found in a Zippo lighter, the Emergency Fire Kit gives you up to 1,700 reliable sparks no matter what the weather condition. It is constructed with reusable ABS plastic and comes with an integrated textured grip, so you can grip it in tough weather conditions. You also get a separate tinder compartment for protection and storage of your tinders from the weather.
This very portable emergency fire kit also comes with a molded lanyard hold so you can clip or connect it to your lanyard or backpack, so you won’t lose it. The Zippo Emergency Fire Kit will burn for up to five minutes, and it will also float in water in case you drop it.
- This is a really decent and well-thought kit
- It works well and seems well-made
- It comes with a nice design that is easy to hold with a textured grip
- The striker mechanism feels pretty flimsy
- The flint was also just a shard and not full-sized
The incredibly small True Utility FireStash Lighter is a multi-tool that fits on your key ring. Created with a chrome-plated zinc alloy, this lighter is always ready to light. It is durable and comes with a neoprene O-ring that is waterproof.
An essential part of your hiking or camping equipment, the True Utility FireStash Lighter is refillable and uses Petrol for fluid. Equipped with a 20 mm split ring, it is easy to attach to your key ring for quick and easy access.
- This is perfect to use as an emergency lighter
- It fits easily onto a keychain lighter, since it is so small
- It is very durable and made from high-quality materials
- It does not come pre-filled with lighter fluid
- You can’t replace the parts, but have to buy a new one when the parts wear out
Available in a two-pack, the EDC Lighter is perfect for emergency and survival situation use. It includes six flints, one replaceable windproof wick, and two waterproof O-rings.
This easy to use lighter can be struck up to 15,000 times. With a wick that lasts ten times longer than the average wick, this all-inclusive fire kit fits easily into your pocket. With its completely new design, all you have to do is add your own lighter fluid and you are ready to start a fire.
- This is the perfect size to put on a keychain
- Fuel last months in this lighter
- It comes with a good seal and extra components
- It is hard to rethread it with a better tinder
- There is variation in the build quality from lighter to lighter
Buyer’s Guide and Considerations When Choosing the Best Survival Lighter
How you plan to use your lighter plays a big roll in which model you choose. If you have a good tactical lighter, you can light a fire quickly and easily, even when taking into account unexpected things that could happen in any emergency situation. Just make sure that your lighter is durable enough to work in various conditions and can withstand a beating.
Not only should your lighter be durable enough that you don’t have to worry about it breaking when it hits the ground, but it should also be able to withstand impact and weight easily. You want to make sure that your tactical lighter can still make a fire after a fall or a hard impact. Look for stainless steel lighters that are not only durable, but that are also rust-free even after long-term use.
Whenever you head outdoors, you can encounter a wide variety of climate and weather conditions like floods, rain, and snow. You want a waterproof lighter that can work the majority of the time that you try to light it.
Wick-based lighters are ideal when you need to start a fire in frigid temperatures, but you may also notice that the fuel system on them can leak as it gets older. If you have a problem with the windproof lighter that you have, it is always a good idea to take more than one model along with you just to make sure you have one that you can depend on.
Another big consideration when choosing a windproof lighter is a direct flame. With a regular lighter, you won’t be able to use it in a heavy wind or pouring rain, but you can use a survival lighter. A direct flame is when the fire emanates from the lighter like a torch, which can be useful in emergencies. Providing great power and quick-starts, a direct flame is always reliable in a heavy wind or rain.
While matches are often a mainstay in a bug out bag, if the bag becomes wet, the matches will not work. A waterproof lighter is the best option when considering a survival situation. Look for a lighter that comes with a waterproof casing that will keep out air and moisture.
Since you won’t always be in a dry and warm environment, this is an important feature to look for. You may even find a model that can create a flame underwater for a short period of time. Also, look for a lighter with a corrosion-resistant base material, which is useful if it will be exposed to water and air a lot.
Portability is the main function of a lighter. The overall weight of the device is important to make sure you can keep it close to you in your pocket or backpack at all times. And, depending on the situation you may be in, having a compact lighter that you can carry in your hand can be critical.
As you shop, you will see three types of lighters including a compact lighter, a capsule lighter, and a lighter with an insignificant weight factor. With any style, you can take them easily with you hiking, camping, or hunting. Remember though that every little bit of weight can make a difference in your survival bag, so it’s important to look for types of lighters that are durable but don’t weight more than they need to.
Having a butane lighter that you can refill is handy if you plan to use it for a long time. While this is convenient, it isn’t a deal-breaker. But it is certainly an advantage if you aren’t near any store where you can buy another butane lighter.
Hands-free lighting is another important consideration when choosing a survival lighter. Allowing you to produce and strike a fire with just one hand, this is useful in a situation where you can’t use both your hands.
The winner of the survival lighter round up is the Phone Skope Fire Starter. This is a great lighter for anyone that spends a lot of time outdoors, especially in the woods. This efficient and not toxic lighter works in all types of weather and is versatile enough to keep a fire going in the rain, snow, wind, and sleet.
You never have to worry about being able to cook food or staying warm with this completely waterproof fire starter. The Phone Skope Fire Starter doesn’t use propane and isn’t difficult to use. It is also pretty compact at only 2.2 pounds, which works well for hunters, campers, and hikers. This all-weather tool is available in several different blends that each work the best in different temperature settings.
The Phone Skope can be used multiple times allowing you to get up to 30 dry fires and up to 12 wet fires out of one can. The definite winner of this roundup hands down.
- EMERGENCY FIRE STARTER: Starting a fire can be challenging, especially when there’s wind, rain, and poor weather. That’s why we created an easier, more efficient, non-toxic fire starter to support every survivalist, adventurer, hunter, outdoorsman, and bbq enthusiast. Whether you need a fire for outdoor cooking, warmth, or light, this gel fire starter makes it easy!
- WATERPROOF & WEATHER-RESISTANT: Designed to burn through sleet, rain, wind, high altitudes, and a wide range of temperatures, the Phone Skope PYRO Putty Blue Winter Blend is an essential addition to any 72-hour kit or survival supplies. It’s designed to burn in the coldest temperatures — from -20ºF to 70ºF. Burn it in winter, spring, summer, or fall!
- QUICK-START FIRE: A proprietary, patent-pending putty that's pliable, sticky, and totally waterproof, this fire starter is easy to stick on logs, torches, or tinder. Create a fire that continues to burn for up to 15 minutes with a single quarter-sized dab. Stay safe out there without slowing yourself down with propane, complicated fire starters, or lighters that need to be recharged.
- DISASTER PREPAREDNESS: Add this fire-starter tool to your emergency preparedness kit and you’ll be ready for any situation. Be prepared for any natural disaster, power outage, or off-grid survival scenario with this fire-starting fuel can. Add it to your survivalist backpack, outdoor recreation accessories, or zombie apocalypse survival kit.
- FIRESTARTER KIT: The PYRO Putty Blue Winter Blend comes in a 0.5 oz. can that will light many fires in all conditions. Don’t worry about wet logs, damp wood, or harsh weather — this fire starter fuel will burn in any weather or circumstances. You’ll also receive our Dual Arc Lighter, which has a long-lasting, rechargeable battery and LED low-battery indicator light.
Last update on 2020-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API