Have you ever lost power at your home and found yourself without a flashlight? Have you ever had your vehicle break down at night, and you didn’t have a flashlight in your car?
Both of these situations have happened to us, so we decided to purchase an emergency tactical flashlight to have on hand. This guide is designed to help you find the best emergency flashlight for your needs. Let’s get started.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 1 Reviews of The Best Flashlight for Emergency
- 2 Essential 5-in-1 Multi-Functional LED Flashlight
- 3 American Red Cross Blackout Buddy LED Flashlight
- 4 UST Waterproof LED Flashlight for Emergencies
- 5 HeroBeam Car Emergency Flashlight
- 6 Amerelle Emergency Lights for Home
- 7 A Guide on What to Look for in the Emergency Flashlights
- 8 Final Thoughts
Reviews of The Best Flashlight for Emergency
If you are looking for the best car emergency flashlight, then this is an option that you will want to consider. It is designed to be very versatile because the product has five different functions that it can be used for. It can work as a flashlight, a torch, and a hazard beacon, but the unit also has a belt razor cutter and a car window hammer that can be used to break the glass if you need. The seatbelt cutter is secured and covered so that you do not accidentally cut yourself, and the hammer has a small plastic cover to keep it from making scratches in your car.
There are three lighting switches that can be used to switch to different modes. The flashlight will require three AA batteries for use. In the back of the flashlight, there are strong magnets in the cover, which will allow you to stick the flashlight to the surface of your vehicle so that you can work on it using both of your hands. In addition, this flashlight is designed to be impact resistant and waterproof, so it is quite a durable option to have in an emergency.
- This is a very durable tool that is useful to have around
- The LED light in the flashlight is very bright
- This flashlight has an ideal size that will easily fit in a glove box or a center console
- The battery life of this flashlight could be better
- The handle is a little bulky, so it may be uncomfortable for those with small hands to use
This is an emergency flashlight that is ideal to use in your home. It is designed to be plugged into an electrical outlet, and when the power fails, the LED light will automatically turn on. This is extremely convenient to use in a blackout situation, and when the device is fully charged, it will stay illuminated for four hours. This light can even be programmed to turn on at night when the lights go out and function as a nightlight. The nightlight part of the flashlight has one LED, while the other section has three bulbs to make the light even brighter.
When the light is being used, the prongs can be folded up so that it is more convenient to hold. Since this flashlight plugs into an outlet, it does not require batteries, and it will last through most storm outages that you may encounter. There is also a power switch that you can choose to use so that the light automatically turns on or for you to enable it yourself when you need it. This flashlight option comes in a pack of two, so you can conveniently place them around the house where you need them.
- This flashlight fits well in most hands
- The LED lights are bright and make it easier to see in an emergency
- The surface is designed to be non-slip so that you can easily hold on to the light when you need
- When the charge is low, the lights on the flashlight tend to flicker
This is a small flashlight that can easily be kept in your car, a drawer, or on your person. It has a 28-lumen strobe function that could be useful to have in an emergency. This light is designed to flash about 60 times a minute, which is effectively every second for up to 44 hours. Of course, this will be over time, and not all at once, but it will give you plenty of options when you are on in the wild in a survival situation.
When it comes to being waterproof, this flashlight has a rating of IPX-7, which means that the flashlight can be immersed in water that is up to a meter deep without being damaged. The unit is straightforward to use, and it has a twist on and off functionality that makes it convenient to turn on quickly. The light can shine about 2.7 miles in the dark, which is farther than the coastguard’s flashlights are required to reach. The flashlight also comes with a lanyard cord and a piece of Velcro that can be used to secure the flashlight to something if you need to use both of your hands.
- This flashlight is nice and lightweight, which makes it very convenient to use
- It has a very compact size that conveniently fits in a bag or a car when you travel
- The strobe light part of the light is very convenient to have, especially in the wild
- The actual flashlight could be a little bit brighter
- The Velcro tape that comes with the light is not the best quality
This is a very compact car emergency flashlight that can easily be stored inside of your vehicle. In fact, the light is only about 6.5 inches in length. In addition to the flashlight, this light is fitted with LED elements on the side of the unit that will add additional light to your workspace. These sidelights offer 120 lumens, which can add a lot of conveniences compared to a traditional flashlight.
The light is designed with a magnet on the back end of it so that you can attach the flashlight to the metal in a car, which will allow you to work on the vehicle without being hindered. It is a device that is designed to be shock-resistant as well as water-resistant, which can come in handy in a survival situation. It does require three AAA batteries to illuminate, but they can be kept on hand easily. In addition, the product has a three-year warranty in case anything happens to it. This flashlight can also be purchased in a twin pack, so you can have one to place in multiple vehicles without spending too much.
- The magnet makes the flashlight act more like a lantern than a flashlight, which can be very convenient if you are working on a vehicle
- The flashlight is a very compact size that easily fits into a car’s storage space
- This seems like a very reliable flashlight that you can easily replenish with a few AAA batteries
- There is not a strobe functionality on this flashlight
- The main light could be a little bit brighter
The final flashlight that we will be reviewing in this guide is another great option for your house. It is a small compact device that can be plugged right into the wall. When there is an emergency or the lights go out, the light will turn on. When this occurs, the LED light will remain in use for 12 hours, which should be enough time for the emergency to pass. When you need to use the light, it can conveniently be removed from the socket, and be comfortably held in the palm of your hand. The prongs that go into the socket actually retract so that the device can be used as a flashlight.
To make sure that the device is always charged to capacity, you will want to keep the light plugged in. There is a small red light on the unit that will tell you that the flashlight is fully charged and ready to go. This red light is relatively dim so that it does not disturb your sleep or your daily routine.
- Both of the prongs on the device are the same size, so the light can fit into any socket with ease in any direction
- The illumination lasts for quite a while when the lights go out
- These small, lightweight lights offer a good amount of illumination in the dark
- The light will lose some of its brightness as it loses power
- There is not a nightlight mode that you can use with this flashlight
A Guide on What to Look for in the Emergency Flashlights
When you are thinking of purchasing a new flashlight for emergencies, you are going to want to consider a few things before you decide which option is best for your needs. To start, you should think about the reason that you need the flashlight because if you are only going to use it in your house, you may be able to select an option that is better for your needs. What else should you consider?
With any flashlight, the purpose of the light is to illuminate the area that you are trying to see. This means that you are going to need a specific amount of light output, which will be measured in lumens. Basically, this will measure the brightness of the beam, so if you only want a light to read within the dark, something as low as 20 lumens will suffice. For emergency and survival situations, more light will be required. Flashlights can have 3500 lumens, so judge how many you need for your specific situation.
With any flashlight, there is a reflector in the lens that will change the type of beam that it creates. There are two types of beams that you can have, but some flashlights will give you the option to toggle between the two.
The two types of beams that you may have are:
- Flood: A floodlight is a fixed beam that has a wide area of reach. It is a great option to use when you are walking because it shines in a larger area.
- Spot: A spotlight is a more condensed beam, so it reaches farther in the dark and it can help you focus on a specific area.
Batteries power most flashlights, but there are some that are designed to be used inside in case of an emergency that will use the electricity to get its power, and when the lights go out, it will immediately turn on. There are also emergency flashlights that use magnets to create light. These options will need to be shaken to illuminate. Before you make a purchase, check to ensure that the power that the flashlight requires is something that you can manage in the location that you will be using it.
The amount of time that the flashlight can last without replacing the batteries or recharging the flashlight is the runtime. Typically, the more intense the light from the flashlight is, the more quickly it will lose power.
Most flashlights will have an estimated runtime on the box that tells you how long it will last at each setting. Over time, this may not be as accurate, but it should give you a good idea of the amount of time that you can use it before it dies.
Impact and Water Resistance
You are going to want your new flashlight to be durable so that it does not break if you drop it while you are walking from your car to get help. This is why impact resistance is a great idea, and most flashlights have a distance that they are tested at to make sure that they do not break on impact.
Water-resistance is also essential to have, especially if you are going to be using the flashlight in the rain. Most flashlights will have an IP rating that indicates whether the flashlight can be splashed or temporarily submerged in water for a period of time. IPX-4 means that the product is okay to be splashed, and an IPX-7 rating means that the flashlight should be fine if it is submerged in water for 30 minutes. The higher the rating is, the more water the flashlight will be able to handle.
Size and Weight
The design of flashlights is not always the same, so make sure that you choose a size and a weight that accommodates your needs. If you are storing the flashlight in your glove box, you will need to get a compact option that will not take up too much space. Hold the flashlight before buying it to make sure that it is a comfortable option that you can use with ease.
Accessories for The Best Emergency Flashlight
Some flashlights come barebones with just the light functionality, and others have more options that will make it more convenient to use in the event of an emergency. The best survival flashlight options will have additional features that you can use while you are camping or fishing as well as along the road in an emergency. A window breaker and a belt cutter razor are common accessories for an emergency flashlight to have available for you to use.
Out of all of the top rated flashlights that we have considered in this guide, there are some amazing choices.
If you are looking for a flashlight that you can use in your car, the Essential 5-in-1 Multi-Functional LED Flashlight is the option that stands out above the rest because it has a few additional tools that can be useful in an emergency.
If you are going to be using the flashlight in your home, the American Red Cross Blackout Buddy LED Flashlight will be a great choice to consider as well, especially since it is powered by the electricity in your home.
- ➣5-in-1 Versatility: Flood beam work light, flash torch light, flash beacon, car window hammer breaker and belt razor cutter. To be used for all kinds of activities you need light on such as camping, fishing, household, mechanic, workshop, automobile and roadside emergency repairs
- ➣3 Lighting Switches: ON1 for 3-Watt COB, ON2 for 1-Watt Torch and ON3 for Red roadside hazard flash beacon; 3 X AA batteries already included for ready use
- ➣Potential Safety Assurance: High hardness alloy safety hammer to break your car window and a hidden cutter with sharp razor blade to cut your seat belt make it possible for you to get off your car efficiently and safely during the most unpredictable emergencies
- ➣Hands Free Use: Equipped with strong magnets imbedded on the rear battery cover, the emergency light can stick tightly on ferrous metal surface, such as car, truck and machine when working or repairing, magnets can definitely free your 2 hands
- ➣Water Proof and Impact Resistant: The flashlight can be used in all kinds of weathers, with the sealed on/off switch and perfectly sealed construction, you don't have to let the water drops, splashes and rain drop stop your work outdoor or indoor; IK07 industrial protection, it even can withstand being run over by vehicles
Last update on 2020-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- EMERGENCY FLASHLIGHT: This LED blackout flashlight lights up automatically when there's a power failure so you don't have to search for a flashlight in the dark. A rechargeable battery powers it for 4 hours.
- MULTIFUNCTION LED: Fold-up prongs allow you to use the Blackout Buddy as a flashlight anytime, & it features an on/off night light option. Plug it in your wall socket & you’ll never be in the dark!
- STAY SAFE & HAVE FUN: For over 30 years we've been dedicated to creating award-winning, innovative products for emergency preparedness & entertainment. We're a proud partner of the American Red Cross.
- KEEP CONNECTED: From weather alert radios & backup battery packs to solar-powered sound systems, we'll keep you connected & in the know at home, in the office, on the road or in the great outdoors.
- ETON'S COMMITMENT TO PREPAREDNESS: We're committed to helping you be prepared for everyday fun & unexpected emergency, whether you’re out on a 10-day backpacking trip or barbecuing in the backyard.
Last update on 2020-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API